Gene Marie Shematek, MSc(A), ROH, CIH
President, GMS&Associates, Ltd.
With extensive experience in occupational health and safety strategic planning, program development, implementation and evaluation, Gene has provided direction to operational teams of five to sixty-five health and safety staff members. Broad operational experience in large, complex, multi-site and unionized environments ensures that the OH&S solutions developed by GMS & Associates are practical to implement and meet the needs of diverse stakeholders. Gene’s experience in business case development assists organizations in attaining realistic and achievable benefits coupled with an accurate assessment of costs. With a strong focus on measurable outcomes, Gene has assisted numerous organizations reduce risk and maximize value for expenditures in occupational health and safety.
Gene Shematek has been an educator for over 20 years, developing and delivering courses at McGill University, the University of Alberta and the University of Calgary. She is a regular presenter at OH&S conferences and provides Professional Development Courses in OH&S Business Case Development and Laboratory Safety. In addition, Gene has provided Executive Briefings on a number of important OH&S issues to support effective decision-making.
• MSc(A), Occupational Health Sciences, McGill University, 1988
• ALCM, (Associate in Loss Control Management), International Loss Control Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 1992
• BA, Biology, Boston University, 1970
• Certificate of Proficiency in French, McGill University, 1987
• Certified Safety Auditor
• Co-author, OHS Performance Measures – Data Collection, Analysis and Reporting Guidelines, published by GMS & Associates, ltd. ISBN 978-0-980 8941-0-3
• Co- author – textbook, Health, Safety and Environmental Systems Auditing, Shematek, MacLean and Lineen, Butterworths Canada LTD, 2001
• Author, Laboratory Safety, an 8-week distance education program for the Canadian Society of Laboratory Technologists
• Co-author of CSLT Guidelines for Laboratory Safety, 3rd Ed., 1993; 4th Ed. 1996, 5th edition, 2001, Shematek, G. and Wood, W., Canadian Society of Laboratory Technologists
• “Spotlight On Safety”, a monthly column appearing in the CSLT Bulletin (since July 1992 to present)
• Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), American Board of Industrial Hygiene
• Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH), Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienists
• Associate in Loss Control Management (ALCM), International Loss Control Institute
• Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP), Human Resources Institute of Alberta
• Member, American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH)
• Member, Canadian Standards Association Steering Committee on Healthcare Technology, since 1992-1996
• Member, American Society of Safety Engineers
• Member, Canadian Society for Safety Engineers
• Member, American Biological Safety Association
• Member and Safety Advisor, Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science
• Member, American Board of Industrial Hygienists (ABIH)
• Member, Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienists (CRBOH)
• Chair, Calgary Chamber of Commerce Human Resources Committee (2007-2008)
Gene Shematek holds US and Canadian citizenship and provides services in English and French.